Breaking News
The student news site of Waxahachie High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

The Arrow

Varsity Tennis Takes Heat from Summit

Varsity Tennis Takes Heat from Summit

The WHS tennis team competed in their first match of the school year Tuesday, August 29. The score was extremely close, but the team lost by merely one match against Mansfield Summit.

Several matches, both doubles and singles, ended in 7-7 tiebreakers. Sophomore McKenzie Ryer, a new member of the varsity team, won her doubles match with Junior Annabelle Graham, also a new varsity member, and also won her singles match on Tuesday.

“I am looking forward to improving my skill while on varsity,” Ryer said, “by a LOT.”

Seniors Gabbi Ruiz and Jevon Carter easily took the win against their mixed doubles opponents 8-0, along with Senior Hayden Cawthon, stealing the match 6-3 6-3.

“It’s great to see how the team encourages our teammates and how they continue to give it their all in matches even if they’re down multiple games or sets,” Ruiz said. “As a team, we played well, and I’m proud of us.”

The tennis players, both junior varsity and varsity teams, prepared for fall matches by having early morning and afternoon practices. Varsity recently played in two matches this summer against Arlington and Midlothian Heritage and won both by a large margin.

Head tennis coach Nicholas Tanner is looking forward to the new year with a set of hard-working players.

“Hard work really does pay off,” Tanner said.