A New Nike

Chase Wakefield, Staff Writer

In response to Nike naming ex-NFL star Colin Kaepernick as the face of the 30th anniversary of their “Just Do It” campaign, the stock market turned sour for sporting & clothing brand Nike as stocks fell 2.5% on Tuesday, September 4th. 

Kaepernick started a movement in 2016 by kneeling during the National Anthem at football games to protest the injustices of police brutality and racism in America.

Conservatives and Trump supporters have taken to boycotting Nike as well as, burning Nike apparel, most notably shoes.

Even the President of the United States has taken to social media, tweeting out “Nike is getting absolutely killed with anger and boycotts.”

Some of the students at Waxahachie High School are also choosing to turn away from the world’s largest sportswear producer and from buying their products.

“I don’t support the Nike sponsorship because Collin Kaepernick is disrespecting our police officers & military,” Sophomore Dallas Moore explains.

On the other hand, there are some who disagree with the setting ablaze of these products and the boycott in general.

“Nike is making a strong statement against the NFL,” Senior Alexandria Lopez explains. “I personally never saw the problem with the peaceful protests and thought the NFL should have never outlawed these players’ practicing it. This has always been about racial inequality in America, something that still has yet to be fixed. I’m happy that Nike chose to partner up with this guy to send out this message not only to the NFL but to the Americans who ostracize the very people who want to see a difference in our country.”

Lebron James and other major athletes have also shown support for the new sponsorship. And it will remain a hot topic as long as Nike remains one of the biggest corporations in the world.