Breaking News
The student news site of Waxahachie High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

The Arrow

Indians prepare to take on state champs

The time that Waxahachie has been waiting for all year has finally arrived; football season. Friday night lights bring back a familiar feeling of joy, excitement, and passion to all football teams and their loyal fans.

The Waxahachie Indians kicked off their 2017 season with an exciting 63-17 win over Lakeview Centennial High School. Fans and players of the Indians are very hopeful and expecting lots of wins in the upcoming season for the Indians.

“From our first win, I’ve become very excited for what our team has in store for us this year,” cheerleader and Junior Tori Osborn said. “I think that we have a good chance of going to state.”

After a big win in their season opener, the Indians will face a tougher challenge in this week’s upcoming game against Highland Park. Finishing last season with a 14-2 record and a State Championship title, the Scots are expected to have a very successful season this year.

However, their former victories do not intimidate the Indians. Waxahachie defeated the Highland Park Scots last year 40-37 in a nerve-wracking, action-packed game. Not only did the Indians defeat the 2016 state champs, but they were one of only two teams to win against Highland Park all year.

“This week’s upcoming game is just part of the journey for us,” Senior quarterback Bryse Salik said. “Win or lose it does not define our team; we’re just preparing ourselves for December. But, it will definitely be an interesting game.”

Even the players who weren’t a part of last years varsity team are still ready for a good game against the Scots.

“This week’s game is another stop on our long journey as a team this year,” Senior Jerreth Sterns said. “They are a very good team coming off a great year, but they aren’t the same team; and neither are we. So I’m just excited and ready to go out there and fight with my brothers.”

Many of the players are on the same page in regard to their feelings about Friday’s game: excited, hopeful, and determined. With the amount of hard work and dedication that The Indians put into every second they spend on the field, there’s no doubt that Waxahachie will come home successful.