Breaking News
The student news site of Waxahachie High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

The Arrow

Two earthquakes shakes Mexico: How this affects our student community

© AFP/Getty Images

The 1985 Mexico earthquake occurred on Thursday, September 19, 1985, striking the country to a magnitude of 8.0. It had been the most powerful so far, and is considered an event that marked Mexican history. Until today, there had been no other earthquake to equal or surpass this; however, on Thursday, September 7, a new earthquake struck the southern coast of the neighboring country. Mainly in the areas of Chiapas, Oaxaca, and Tabasco, but also in other countries bordering Mexico, such as Guatemala and El Salvador.

This earthquake reached a magnitude of 8.1, becoming the most powerful that has affected the country throughout the century. Although it exceeds magnitude by one tenth, there is a great difference between both earthquakes compared to the number of victims. In this case, the number was lower according to the information provided by the media. The affected areas were not the most populated and the damages not very exaggerated.

Not yet a month has passed since this earthquake put the country on alert, however, on Tuesday, September 19, another earthquake, of lesser power but greater impact, again put the country under catastrophic conditions in the states of Puebla, Guerrero , Hidalgo, Morelos, Veracruz, Tlaxcala, Edomex, and Mexico City, the capital of the country. It was classified with a magnitude of 7.1, being in minority compared to the previous ones, nevertheless, since it affected those places where the majority of the population was centered, the damages are considered much greater. So far, it is estimated that about 17,000 buildings were shot down by the earthquake, and although the exact number of victims is unknown, it is very likely to exceed 200 dead. They are still looking for potential victims left behind.
This earthquake was devastating and a complete chaos, and the damage it caused was extreme, to the point of causing several parts of the world to set their eyes on the country. It’s taking place on social networks. This disaster was a great blow to Mexico.

It turns out to be a curious fact that both earthquakes (1985 and the most current) occurred on the same day: September 19. Coincidence?

The situation facing the neighboring countries is regrettable. Also, this was a very bitter drink for students in the Hispanic community who come to the schools in this district. Many of them, whether of latin origin or with relatives abroad, were hit in some way by the earthquakes.
“A lot of disaster,” says  junior Silvia Serrano, a native of Honduras. “It is very difficult to know how many people actually died, and how many others are found. Many were left without houses because of the earthquakes. Knowing that the countries of Central America are so poor gives much sadness, and it’s also harder to know that it is your own race and not being able to do anything.” She also added that she has no relation to any affected.
It was a moment of terror that crossed the Mexican nation with both earthquakes. Regarding the first, it is estimated that 50 million people from Mexico to Guatemala could feel the movement on the ground. Here the videos show how the national monument, The Angel of Independence, was shaken from its pedestal in the eyes of anyone who could witness. Regarding the second, several social networks show how the buildings fall into pieces leaving behind them a cloud of dust that is now over most of Mexico City. Also in places in Mexico, such as Xochimilco, where water is abundant as well as an efficient means of transport, there are videos where it can see the altered movement of water under the small boats because of the vibratory waves that produced the earthquakes.
“I imagine that all those people felt terrible, with great anxiety and a lot of fear,” Mexican Sophomore Denisse Martínez testified. “I really feel bad to know that people of our country suffered because of that disaster.”
Because of the earthquakes, many families in Mexico lost access light and water, not to mention that many homes were reduced to rubble, as Serrano mentioned earlier. This situation is very similar to those affected by Harvey, Irma and Maria. In a case such as this, both countries, Mexico and the United States, should be mutually supportive because they are experiencing something alike.
“I think things like that, nobody thinks they can happen. We do not have much control over an earthquake, but we still have to help each other. I think that as a society we must provide help with people who have lost everything; and just as we help those harmed by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria we should equally be helping those affected by the earthquake,” said Sophomore Maria Tovar, originally from Mexico. “I think that if we could provide some help, we have a little more of a change for those people who find themselves with nothing,” said Tovar. “I feel very proud to be of Hispanic origin, because it is something so beautiful that very few can experience. Sometimes, I feel that being away from where I was born or where my roots are makes me very sad, and I do not feel at home.”

Part of the country has been reduced to foundations, however, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and the media have witnessed how Mexican police and the armed forces are mobilizing to reduce the damage.

There is no doubt that these natural disasters will cause an impact on the Mexican nation to such an extent that they will be remembered like that of 1985.