Breaking News
The student news site of Waxahachie High School

The Arrow

The Arrow

The Arrow

One Last Year

The class of 2019 is quickly approaching the last 5 weeks of our junior year. After growing up together through elementary school, junior high, and finally high school, we only have one more year until we will be going our final ways for good. As we take our SATs and prepare to start applying for college, we need to cherish our final year of high school and appreciate all the things we will soon be missing.

We only have one year left. One more year of cheering on our boys under the Friday night lights and rocking out to the drum line. One more year of watching the talented theater kids bring home awards and hearing our choir kids sing. One more year of getting sunburnt while watching the softball and baseball teams, and losing our voices after cheering for our volleyball girls. One more year of passing each other everyday through the halls and enjoying lunch with each other. One more year of dressing up for our banquets and having fun at prom. And lastly, one more year of seeing the familiar faces every day that we’ve grown accustomed to over the past 12 years.

Not only will we be leaving the friends we’ve grown up with since we were children, but we’ll be leaving our families. We’ll no longer have the people that raised us to take care of us when we’re sick, or cook us dinner every night. We will be trading the cozy feel of our homes and our big, soft beds for unfamiliar dorm rooms and stiff, twin size beds. We’ll no longer get to see our excited and playful animals run around our house everyday and play with them when we’re bored. We’ll no longer get into the petty arguments with our siblings that we hate now, but will soon begin to miss once we’re gone. Most importantly, we won’t have our parents there to raise us any longer. We will be completely on our own; every decision we make is now completely up to us. After our last year, we will be leaving behind the person we were and truly beginning to grow into adults.

Although we only have one more year at Waxahachie High School, lots of us will stay close to home and live here for the rest of our lives. On the other hand, many of us will move miles away and start new, fresh lives. Despite where we all end up, all the memories and friendships we’ve made at Waxahachie High School will stay with us forever. One day we’ll tell our kids about all the good, the bad, the fun, and the stressful times we had in high school, along with all of the memories we made with our friends. Be sure to cherish this last year of high school and being home with our friends and family- because we won’t realize how much we loved it until we’re gone.