“Big Fish” nominated for 8 DSM awards

From left: Ben Barker (Edward Bloom), Adrian Rodriguez (Will Bloom), and Bailey Ballard (Josephine) in the WHS production of “Big Fish.” The show was nominated for 8 DSM High School Musical Theater Awards, including Barker for Best Actor.

Eric Speelman, Editor

On Monday, Dallas Summer Musicals announced the nominees for the 2020 High School Musical Theater Awards. The WHS Theater Department’s production of “Big Fish” led the field of 68 area schools with eight total nominations, tied with Plano East Senior High School’s “Bring It On.”

“We’re excited,” said WHS Theater Director Andy Reynolds. “Eight nominations are a lot, especially when you find out that you were tied for the most.”

WHS was nominated in Best Musical Direction, Best Direction, Best Crew & Technical Execution, Best Scenic Design, Best Costumes, Best Orchestra, Best Actor — Ben Barker (Edward Bloom), and Best Musical. (For the full list of nominations, click here.)

The 9th Annual Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Theater Awards will be presented digitally on May 14th, 2020, at a time to be announced.