Instructor brings excitement to the stage

Preston Call, Staff Writer

WHS theater teacher, Paula Myers, realized that dreams can come true after starring in multiple productions throughout her life. 

“Theater has become my passion,” Myers said. “I’m so glad I’ve had the chance to pursue this as a career.” 

Mrs. Myers is a theater director and teacher at Waxahachie High School. Mrs. Myers has been teaching theater for 20 years. She has moved around the local area and country, sharing her passion for the arts and inspiring other directors, teachers, and students. She has spent ten years in Washington, five years in Waxahachie, Texas, and the other five coaching elsewhere. Mrs. Myers also played Trunchball in ECCT last year because of her “mean personality”. 

This is Mrs. Myers’s third year in the WHS theater department. This year, she is participating in training the technical theater class for set building and production for the upcoming plays and musicals of the 2020-2021 school year.

“I think this year will be a lot of fun,” Myers said. “I’m so excited about having the chance to train a new staff this year.”

Mrs. Myers also is a standing-coach for construction, stage managing, and light-production alongside Mr. Reynolds and Mr. Mullican. Although Mrs. Myers does not teach the playwriting class, her appearance still takes place in the costuming, directing, and producing fields.  

“I have always loved the costuming and acting aspects of theater,” Myers said.

A week ago, Mrs. Myers and the other directors displayed the short-play by the playwright class (AS/PW). The students were told to create a play based on actions in different rooms and in different time periods. The actors’ studio acted-off of the actions of the characters created.