Homecoming Court

Homecoming+Court

Morgan Lenamond, Copy Editor

In a year altered by Covid-19, one thing that remains unchanged at WHS is the annual tradition of Homecoming. This year’s Homecoming, while not including the usual Wednesday night bonfire or shopping cart parade, will still include many traditional elements like the parade, Friday night football game, and Homecoming Court.

“It means so much to me to still have a homecoming,” Homecoming Queen nominee Madeline Condor said. “It seems like nearly everything is being shut down and canceled due to COVID – rightfully so – but it still sucks to miss out on some ‘essential’ parts of Senior year.”

This year’s Homecoming Court was announced on Thursday, Oct. 15th. It consists of one boy and girl each from the Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior class and eight boys and girls from the Senior class.

When sophomore Duchess Riley Walker found out she was nominated, she said, “I was shocked, and I couldn’t even believe it.”

Those elected to homecoming court were chosen by their peers. Students were able to nominate two boys and two girls from their grade level, and the boys and girls nominated most were chosen. Everyone in the student body was then able to vote for the senior court members of their choice for Homecoming King and Queen.

“I feel like [being on Homecoming court] gives you a good image and reflects on what your peers think of you,” sophomore Duke Eli Wheaton said.

Those who are on Homecoming Court will ride in Friday’s parade and take part in the halftime ceremony during the Homecoming football game against Cedar Hill Friday night. Homecoming King and Queen will be announced then.

This year’s Freshman Duke and Duchess are Beck Sullivan and Skyla Lansing. Sophomore Duke and Duchess are Eli Wheaton and Riley Walker; Junior Prince and Princess are Chase Pope and Wynter Clark. The senior court boys are Antoni Thomas, Ashton Wright, Casey Kelly, Clyde Melick, Drew Bousquet, Ethan Brown, Jaden Basham, and Luke Villarreal. The girls are Ashaureah Collins, Ella Brewer, Hannah Martin, Lilyanna Armstrong, Madeline Condor, Madyson Henderson, Sariah Wheeler, and Taznejia Valencia.