Grace Acosta

Grace+Acosta

Hannah Collinsworth, Staff Writer

Most people wouldn’t enjoy waking up early in the morning 5 days a week to be in a classroom full of hyper 7-year-olds, but for junior Grace Acosta, she wouldn’t want to start her mornings any other way.

“I love being around kids and being able to teach them about anything,” Acosta said.

Grace is in the education and training program here at Waxahachie High School, and on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:15-11:15, she’s busy being an aide to a second-grade class at Dunaway Elementary. “Since starting out at Dunaway, I’ve grown to love teaching even more every single day,” Acosta said. “Connecting to each student is so fun, and every day is different.”

Acosta would love to teach a first or second-grade class, and since they don’t switch classes, she’d get to teach them every subject, and help shape the way they will learn throughout their school careers.

“I love the connection and impact that I could make on them,” Acosta said. “There’s just so much to teach, and I think it’s so cute watching them get excited over the littlest things”

“My favorite part of teaching is getting to know their personalities and trying to teach in a way that ensures they’re getting the information while they’re also enjoying themselves, ”  Acosta said.

Her least favorite part, however, is when some of the students are mean to each other.

“They’re too young to be bullying, and I want to stop the habit as soon as it starts,” Acosta said.

“Grace has been an amazing student and will make an even better teacher,” Cynthia Foreman, education and training teacher, said. “I can’t wait to see what the future holds for her.”