Mira Bhakta

Mira+Bhakta

Jason Alanis, Staff Writer

When she was little, her parents had big plans for her future. Now a junior, they realized that their big dreams for their daughter are coming true. 

Being one of the only South Asians in the school, Mira Bhakta’s customs and beliefs are different compared to most students, but as part of the American-Indian community, she not only celebrates Indian traditions but American traditions as well.

“One of my favorite Indian events are the weddings,” says Mira. “They typically last three to four days, but each day is a blast because we do different things than a traditional American wedding!”

Along with that, she’s been a vegetarian for her whole life. 

“I always get questions about what I eat since I don’t eat meat, but the truth is that there are foods that don’t have any type of meat in them that aren’t just salads,” she said. “I eat all types of cuisines like Indian and Italian.”

Mira is very committed to school activities. She is a part of the school’s Student Council, Interact club, yearbook staff, and Athletic Trainers. Along with that, she is in all dual credit classes in hopes to get her Associate’s degree through the campus’s Indian Scholars program.

“Having all of these commitments can be challenging, but I wouldn’t change it for the better because if I did I wouldn’t feel accomplished with myself,” Mira said.

Mira Bhakta is not only committed to her academics, but she is also fond of giving a helping hand to those who need it.

“I’ve always loved the fact that I could make someone’s day by simply just helping them out,” she said.  “I’ve been doing community service since eighth grade and to this day seeing a smile on other’s faces from my good deed brings me joy.”

Because of how she loves to lend a hand, once she graduates, Mira wants to further her studies into the medical field so she can become a neonatal nurse; however, the first step she is going to take on this journey is getting over her fear of needles.

“My fear of needles is random but there’s something about needles that bothers me so much,” she said. “It’s a weird fear, but it happens to the best of us.”

While Mira engages in multiple areas of activities, one thing for sure is that she is very committed to the things she enjoys doing and her last years of high school.