Working ’till the End

Wind Ensemble records for Honor Band

Brianna Padron, Staff Writer

The Wind Ensemble has a busy week with a concert, banquet and two last recording opportunities to submit for the honor band competition. The band has won the honor band title two times before, the last time being in 2018. This time, the competition is greater with all the mighty 6A schools coming up to the plate.

“Both of my brothers have been in the bands that won honor band,” sophomore Keegan Underwood said. “I want to live up to my family’s legacy of winning it.”

The band has been working on the music for honor band since the end of their marching season in December. There have been nonstop rehearsals, sectionals and individual practices put into making the music the best it can be. It has been a long and hard 6 months, but the Wind Ensemble players tackle the challenge with pride.

“It is definitely demanding and stressful trying to win,” Underwood said.

The band has recorded twice so far and will have two last times to record before the deadline. Once at the Spring Concert on Thursday and the last on Saturday at St. Andrews United Methodist Church. In between those two events is the band banquet to celebrate the entire band program’s achievements this year.

“I am looking forward to the banquet, but I am ready to have fun and perform at St. Andrews,” Underwood said.

You can come out to hear the hard work of the band at their concert on Thursday at 7pm in the Performing Arts Center, or even go out to Plano to witness the beautiful music in a beautiful arena on Saturday at 11:30am. The Wind Ensemble has put much heart and time into making the best music they can make.

“It has been a very grueling process,” senior Dhruval Rangrej said, “but in the end the payoff is immense.”