Dear Concerned Parent

Justin Charles, Staff Writer

I have recently seen a letter written to the Waxahachie Daily Light by a WHS parent which describes Waxahachie High as a school plagued by fights and drug use.

As a student who recently came here from Maypearl, I have a different perspective than somebody who has attended Waxahachie their whole life. Honestly, when I first got here I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after a few months here, I feel just as safe as I did in the tiny town of Maypearl where nothing ever happens. I also feel like I am in a much better learning environment.

This parent says their child does not feel safe going to the restroom because every time he/she walks in, somebody is using drugs in the bathroom. I can personally say that in the several times I have been to use the restroom this year, I have never seen anybody using any type of drug, and many of my classmates said the same.

The parent asks, “If they are vaping in the bathrooms, how do we know they are not in there preparing something worse?” Rest assured, nobody is setting up meth labs in the WHS restrooms.

Also mentioned in this letter is fights that “happen all the time, sometimes a couple a day.” We are very near the end of the first semester, and as far as I know, there have only been three fights at this point in the year.  Most schools have certainly had more fights at this point. I’m sure there have been more that haven’t reached my ears, but they are certainly few and far between.

It is infuriating for me to read this letter because I am proud to be a Waxahachie Indian, and this letter paints our school in a false and very negative light.