“Ready Player One” review

Over the weekend, I saw “Ready Player One”, Stephen Spielberg’s latest blockbuster based off of the dystopian novel of the same name written by Ernest Cline. The story takes place in the year 2045, following Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) and his adventures in the Oasis, a virtual reality that people all over the world have turned to in order to escape the problems of their world, such as overpopulation, global warming, the depletion of fossil fuels, etc. The Oasis offers a world without problems, where the players can live happy lives, making friends, finding love, or going on the adventures they desire. The creator of the Oasis, James Halliday, left three keys after his death to unlock an easter egg that would let the winner of this scavenger hunt control the Oasis and earn half a trillion dollars. The movie is about Wade and his friends solving the late Halliday’s riddles in order to win the easter egg.

My biggest worry going into the movie was that the cgi characters would distract me from the story, but they didn’t. In fact, the entire movie was this way, combining modern movie beauty without distracting us from 80’s storytelling that we all love. It was filled with 80’s pop culture references and had a great message. The acting was great, the story was wonderful, and the characters were not only relatable but also funny. In fact, my only complaint was the rushed love story that really slows down the otherwise fast paced movie. “Ready Player One” really pulled you into their world, making you wish that you too could jump into the Oasis and live out your wildest fantasies. This movie makes me excited for future technology and want to buy a VR headset.