WHS alumni declares for NFL Draft

Sharon Ellman/gofrogs.com

Former WHS wide receiver Jalen Reagor (1) in TCU’s win over Purdue on Sept. 14, 2019.

Ethan Harriman, Staff Writer

On Dec. 2, former WHS football player and current TCU wide receiver Jalen Reagor announced that he would enter the 2020 NFL Draft. If drafted, Reagor will become the seventh WHS alumni to play in the NFL.

“First and foremost, I want to thank TCU and Coach Patterson for giving me the opportunity to get an education and play football at the highest level,” Reagor said in a statement posted on Twitter. “The relationships I have built at TCU will be lifelong friendships.”

Reagor, part of the WHS class of 2017, was graded as a four-star receiver when he signed with TCU, and has played a large part in the Horned Frogs’ offense, with 148 catches for 2,248 yards and 22 touchdowns over his three-season college career. His best season was his sophomore campaign, where he garnered 1,061 receiving yards with 9 touchdowns while averaging 14.7 yards per catch.

Reagor’s explosive speed, honed by running high school track, has emerged as one of his standout qualities, culminating in his 2017 state gold medal in the long jump. Reagor was also named 2017 Big 12 Co-Offensive Freshman of the Year (along with Baylor quarterback Charlie Brewer), and was selected to the 2018 All Big 12 team.

Before the start of the 2019 season, several experts predicted that Reagor will be drafted in the first round – something that no former Indian has ever accomplished.

I am looking forward to contributing at the highest level.

— Jalen Reagor

“From the time I was 8 years old and got to see my dad [former NFL player and Waxahachie alumnus Montae Reagor] win a Super Bowl with the Colts, I knew I wanted to play in the NFL and win a championship,” Reagor said. “I am looking forward to contributing at the highest level.”