Graham Scott leads boy’s cross country team to regionals

The boys cross country team won district last week and leading the way with a second-place finish was junior Graham Scott, with a time of 15:55,  

Scott has beaten the school record more than once, but with every step he takes the pain in his legs and feet grows stronger. He sees the finish line and crosses it as the new school record holder.

“It felt great to break through the record but even though I have it, I don’t make it my main focus on my accomplishments, ” Scott said. “It’s how my team does and how much I can help them accomplish their goals.”

Scott runs 60 to 65 miles, 6 days a week, or about 10 to 12 miles a day.

“What motivates me the most is that I know it’s all gonna be worth it in the end,” Graham said. “Even if I get bored or I’m hurting I keep going no matter what because one day the hard work will pay off.”

Scott’s teammates admire his work ethic.

“He keeps people really, really accountable,” junior Ezra Perez said. “On faster workouts, he’ll go on his own, but anything with mileage, we’ll do together. He runs faster naturally, so he’ll go ahead, but on distance, he’ll run them with us.”

Scott has the qualities cross country Coach Edward De La Cruz looks for in an athlete.

“Hard-working, disciplined, never backs down, and he does all three,” De La Cruz said.

The season is still underway, but Scott is not finished. He will compete in the regional meet with his teammates on October 24 in Grand Prairie. 

“My ultimate goal is to run D1 in the NCAA and help my team get to state,” Scott said.