Hurricance Harvey

On August 25th, Hurricane Harvey hit south Texas and caused many people lose their homes and loved ones. Many celebrities and large companies have donated to aid those affected. As well as clubs at many schools, including WHS.

JJ Watts, Houston Texans football player, started a relief fund for those affected in Houston. His fund started off with a goal of $200,000, but has now greatly surpassed it with up to 27 million dollars in donations. Charles Butt, HEB CEO, contributed to his fund by donating 5 million dollars.

Kevin Hart, comedian, has also created a “challenge” to motivate other celebrities to donate to those affected by the hurricane. He went on Instagram and encouraged celebrities to donate up to $25,000 to The Red Cross.  

Along with celebrities, many clubs around WHS have been helping those affected by Harvey.  During lunches, Interact Club has been walking throughout the cafeteria collecting change donations. “I knew it was going to a good cause so I wanted to do what I could to help,” said Junior Sophie Melick.  

WHS also collected supplies and money donations in exchange for free admission to the first football game of the season. A full truck of supplies was loaded by  the WHS  theatre department. “It made me feel happy seeing all of the donations,” said Junior Sam Linguist.  

Many groups and organizations have worked together to help those affected by the hurricane. WHS along with many other schools have pitched in to do what they could.