The Death of Tom Petty

Singer, songwriter, guitarist and Rock & Roll Hall Of Famer Tom Petty died at 66 years old this past Monday, October 2, 2017. Tony Dimitriades, Mr. Petty’s longtime manager said in a statement Mr. Petty suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu, Calif., early Monday morning and was taken to the U.C.L.A. Medical Center, where he could not be revived. He was pronounced dead at 8:40 p.m. with family members, friends and bandmates present at the hospital, Mr. Dimitriades said.

Recording with the Heartbreakers, the band he formed in the mid-1970s, and on his own wrote multiple smash hits that are still played today and are some of the most well known songs from his time.

His songs were staples of rock radio for decades. With all of his songs reaching out to and speaking to a mixture of multiple audiences granted Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers extraordinary amounts of success throughout their career, allowing their music to carry on and be heard by younger generations today. There’s no doubt that Tom Petty was one of the best not only of his time, but of all time and his personality, music, talent and his way to connect with his audiences and to people in general will be missed and the inspiration he gave many songwriters will continue to live on just live his music.